Charged with a crime while visiting our area? Our Travis County criminal defense attorneys explain how to protect your rights and avoid serious penalties.
Travis County hosts a variety of activities and events throughout the year, drawing in large numbers of visitors from other states. Unfortunately, many are unaware of or underestimate the strict laws that apply throughout Texas and can find themselves facing criminal charges as a result. It is important not to downplay or ignore the situation. Our Travis County criminal defense attorneys explain how to protect your rights and avoid serious penalties that could impact you long after your visit.
Charged With a Crime While Visiting Travis County?
Travis County, Texas, is home to more than one million residents. Millions more come to visit the city of Austin each year or to take part in events such as Formula 1 racing and the SXWX concert series. While the area is known for extending a warm welcome to guests, Texas state laws are notoriously strict, and penalties for any type of criminal behavior are severe.
Tourists in Travis County can easily find themselves on the wrong side of the law during their visit. Common types of criminal charges they are likely to face include:
- Disorderly conduct, including loitering, public intoxication, and noise violations;
- Driving under the influence or other serious traffic offenses;
- Drug crimes, such as possession of marijuana and other illegal substances;
- Assaults, sexual harassment, and other violent offenses.
Dealing With Criminal Charges When You are From Out-of-State
Criminal charges in Travis County are nothing to take lightly. Even with minor offenses and traffic tickets, once you are convicted, the Travis County Criminal Court may work with your home state in imposing serious consequences. This varies from heavy fines to loss of your driving license and other privileges, up to and including actual jail time.
To protect your rights and deal with these charges, speak with an experienced Travis County criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. Actions we can take on your behalf include:
- Reviewing the charges against you and how state laws apply;
- Conducting our own investigations and gathering the evidence needed to build a strong legal defense;
- Negotiating with police and prosecutors involved to get your charges reduced or dismissed;
- Keeping you informed on the status of your case and any actions you may need to take, including return visits to Travis County;
- Appearing on your behalf in court and making fierce arguments before a judge or jury to avoid a guilty verdict and reduce the severity of penalties you face.
Request a Consultation With Our Travis County Criminal Defense Attorneys
It is not uncommon for tourists to be charged with crimes while visiting Travis County, Texas. Unfortunately, these could result in serious penalties that impact you for years after your trip. To avoid a conviction, get an experienced Travis County criminal defense attorney on your side. Call or contact Granger and Mueller, P.C. online to request a consultation today.