When you are facing charges of insurance fraud, our Travis County criminal defense attorneys can provide the aggressive legal representation you need.
When accidents, illnesses, or injuries occur, an insurance policy may cover your costs. However, being dishonest in any way or misleading about the situation could have serious consequences. In addition to having your claim denied, you could end up facing criminal charges. Insurance fraud is a serious matter in Texas and Granger and Mueller PC provide the aggressive legal representation you need when facing these charges. As Austin criminal defense attorneys with more than 25 years of experience, we can help you work to avoid the severe penalties associated with a conviction.
The insurance industry often faces scrutiny over practices that are unfair to consumers. However, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) reports that consumer based insurance fraud is just as big a problem. The NAIC obtained help through the Department of Justice in seeking reimbursement on fraudulent claims totaling close to $3 billion dollars in 2017 alone.
Insurers have gotten increasingly savvy in fighting these fraudulent claims, which includes recently developing an advanced system for detecting incidents involving insurance fraud with over 80% accuracy. They have also gotten more aggressive in pressing criminal charges against alleged offenders. At Granger and Mueller PC, our Travis County insurance fraud attorneys provide a strong legal defense for clients facing charges related to the following:
● Making false claims and assertions on insurance applications;
● Knowingly omitting important information;
● Exaggerating the damages you suffered or the amount of compensation you require when filing a claim;
● Staging an accident, injury, or inventing a non-existing illness, for the purpose of cashing in on an insurance policy.
At Granger and Mueller PC, we provide you with a strong legal defense to protect you against the penalties associated with insurance fraud. Common types of cases our Austin, TX insurance fraud attorneys represent include:
● Automobile insurance claims, where the accident is staged or damages overinflated;
● Health insurance cases, which may involve fake prescriptions or procedures which were not performed;
● Life insurance fraud, such as lying about the circumstances or causing another’s death;
● Property insurance fraud, which may involve arson, burglary, or claiming lost property for the purpose of submitting a claim;
● Workers’ compensation cases, where an employee stages an accident or exaggerates their injuries.
Under Section 35.02 of the Texas Penal Code , insurance fraud can result in felony charges, depending on the amount involved in the claim. Penalties may include payment of restitution, fines of up to $10,000 and up to a 20-year prison sentence.
Insurers have teams of attorneys working on their behalf in cases involving insurance fraud. At Granger and Mueller PC, our experience and legal expertise make us a strong legal ally on your side. Contact our Austin criminal defense attorneys today and request a consultation to see how we can help you.