While criminal offenses vary in their severity based on circumstances and aggravating factors, nearly all can disrupt or tarnish a personal or professional life, career, or educational opportunities. If you have been charged with a crime, the situation can be immensely stressful — particularly for a first-time offense. That said, it is extremely important to act with full knowledge of your rights so that you can protect your interests and move toward the best possible outcome. A skilled legal team can help you do precisely that.
Criminal Defense Attorneys in Travis County
- Sexual assault
- Child abuse
- Assault and family violence
- Fraud and forgery
- Probation violations
- Violent crimes
- Expunctions, non-disclosure, and early probation release
- Search warrants
- Drug crimes
- Weapons charges
- Jail release
We cannot overemphasize the importance of early, decisive, informed, and deliberate action. One wrong move, particularly at the early stages of an investigation, can be catastrophic — it can literally turn what would be an outright dismissal into a conviction. We will work one-on-one with you from the very beginning of your case to help you fully protect your rights while we aggressively advocate for you in negotiation or litigation.
To schedule a free initial consultation with one of our Austin criminal law attorneys at Granger and Mueller PC, call 512-474-9999 or contact us online.
Possible Penalties of Criminal Cases
Getting arrested or facing criminal charges can always be stressful, and your future becomes uncertain. What will happen if you are convicted? Will you go to jail? Will you be able to afford fines? How will a criminal record impact your life?
The truth is that Texas criminal law sets out serious penalties for most criminal offenses, which often include jail time. Some common penalties include:
- Community service
- Loss of a driver’s license
- Fines and restitution
- Time in county jail
- Time in state prison
- Mandatory substance abuse or mental health treatment
Once you complete any court-ordered sentence, the consequences do not stop there. Instead, having a criminal record can impact many aspects of your life, such as:
- Rental housing
- Professional licensing
- Child custody
- Firearm ownership
- Educational programs
- Sex offender registry
It is always best to avoid a criminal conviction on your record, even if it seems minor at the time.
How an Austin Criminal Lawyer Can Help
Many people go back and forth on whether they should hire an attorney to help them handle their criminal matter. If you are facing a misdemeanor charge that might seem minor to you, it is tempting to save yourself attorney’s fees and try to represent yourself. However, unrepresented defendants regularly receive much harsher outcomes than defendants with the right criminal defense attorney.
Defense lawyers can assist in your case in many different ways to seek the most favorable outcome possible. This can include:
- Representing you in police questioning, so you do not accidentally say something incriminating
- Seeking a bond reduction or personal recognizance bond so you can get out of jail while your case is pending
- Investigating the circumstances of the alleged crime
- Examining the evidence the prosecutor plans to present against you
- Identifying whether the police violated your constitutional rights and seeking to get unlawfully obtained evidence suppressed from your case
- Negotiating a favorable plea deal with the prosecutor with reduced charges and/or reduced penalties
- Advising you on the implications of a guilty plea vs. fighting your charges at trial
- Representing you are all court proceedings and hearings
- Representing you at a jury trial should you choose that path
- Advocating for a lenient sentence following a conviction
- Appealing a wrongful conviction
- Helping to defend against allegations of probation or parole violations
- Helping you get a previous criminal matter expunged or sealed from your record
As you can see, the services of a criminal defense attorney can be valuable from the moment you are arrested - or even under investigation - until after a conviction.
The criminal process is complicated, and in Travis County, the process does not favor defendants. It is always best to have an experienced attorney protecting your rights and fighting your charges, no matter how minor or severe your case may be.
Speak with Our Travis County Criminal Defense Attorneys Immediately
If you are arrested or accused of a crime, your first call should be to the Austin criminal defense lawyers of Granger and Mueller PC. Call 512-474-9999 or email the firm to learn how we can protect your rights.